Whonix aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity by helping you use your applications anonymously. A web browser, IRC client, word processor, and more come pre-configured with security in mind.
It is a complete operating system, designed to be used inside a host operating system. It is Free Software and based on Tor, Debian GNU/Linux, and security by isolation.
Would you like to contribute to the Whonix project?
Contributing can be as easy as sharing the blog over social media, volentering, or making a monitary donation.
For more ideas on how to get involved see the Contribute wiki page or click on the "Contribute" tag to see where volenteers are most needed.
- Is this Monero or Whonix error ? September 21, 2018I installed Monero GUI using guide from DOCS, I tred changing nodes and I reinstall Monero(I delete the folder and try to do all steps following the instructions) 7f84e8f84700 WARN net.dns src/common/dns_utils.cpp:508 WARNING: no two valid MoneroPulse DNS checkpoint records were received ERROR default src/wallet/api/utils.cpp:46 error: resolve: Host not foun […]@Mikom Mikom
- sdwdate and sdwdate-gui development thread September 21, 2018Debian Stretch via CLI. I seem to remember having the same problem on Jessie, but it’s been awhile.@9jnc7
- Is it safe to install and using exploit from linux repo on Whonix workstation? September 21, 2018Is the exploit activity will go only trough Tor?@span_ext
- pidgin in whonix 14 September 21, 2018i found the answer in the changelog. i have not tried it yet, but has anyone used the old apparmor profile in whonix 14 and encountered any issues?@tempest tempest
- pidgin in whonix 14 September 21, 2018Hi tempest Pidgin works great on my Whonix 14 as it was on Whonix 13.@Cottonwoodhill
- pidgin in whonix 14 September 21, 2018given the various issues that have come up in a number of topics involving xmpp clients, i’ve decided to stick with pidgin in my own guide until another better client comes along. at the moment, coyim is looking nice but is missing a rather important feature. when i installed pidgin for a test run in a whonix 14 workstation, all of the unsafe protocols are b […]@tempest tempest
- Add Password manager by default September 21, 2018LakeMonster: I’m sorry that you feel you need to limit your mobility in this way. Cryptomator + Nextcloud is your friend. (Although Cryptomator not really necessary since kdbx is already encrypted with AES) @LakeMonster May I ask you what Cryptomator version do you use ? Do you connect to a cloud using Whonix or another system ?@Cottonwoodhill
- Is there any solution for XMPP clients via Whonix or Qubes? September 21, 2018i’ve only played with tox minimally. it was all through the whonix workstation and, therefore, concerns about my ip address being revealed were not present. however, i was not testing anything leak related. i was simply curious about the various clients. at the moment, i don’t believe there is any tox client in the debian repos. thus, i have not given it a l […]@tempest tempest
- Using VPS with TOR ? September 21, 2018justqurious: When I connect to a VPS (NOT a VPN) from the command prompt, does the trafic go trough the TOR network automaticly or do i need to do something to direct it? Yes everything is piped through Tor. Though you should be aware that if you paid for the VPS using a payment form traceable to you then Tor doesn’t help. justqurious: Can a VPS see my true […]@HulaHoop HulaHoop
- Strong Flow Correlation Attacks on Tor Using Deep Learning September 21, 2018Scary indeed. I’ve ping tor-dev about it to let them know and see what they are working on.@HulaHoop HulaHoop
- Need help with Bitmessage please September 21, 2018SOLVED@Cottonwoodhill
- Can't connect to Bitmessage with whonix 9 September 21, 2018Hi @, So here is an update after having installed Bitmessage in a fresh Debian 9 on a VM as suggested by 0brand. Verdict : Connection was working So I went back to my Whonix Workstation and used the version I found and downloaded here : https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage/releases And guess what ? I am glad to inform you that connection also works on […]@Cottonwoodhill
- sdwdate and sdwdate-gui development thread September 21, 2018troubadour: Patrick: Why would should sdwdate only be restarted if Tor is running? The line if self.tor_status == 'running': is not necessary, but does it make sense to restart sdwdate when tor is stopped? Yes, makes sense because sdwdate would wait (even forever) for Tor to restart and the log and status symbols would reflect that. By the way, doe […]@Patrick Patrick Schleizer
- sdwdate and sdwdate-gui development thread September 21, 2018Where did you install it?@Patrick Patrick Schleizer
- Using VPS with TOR ? September 21, 2018Hi justcurious justqurious: When I connect to a VPS (NOT a VPN) from the command prompt, does the trafic go trough the TOR network automaticly or do i need to do something to direct it? Whonix forces all traffic through the Tor network or blocks it. Whonix About Whoniy Summary, what who is, Anonymity online through Tor, Security by Isolation, Based on Debian […]@0brand
- sdwdate and sdwdate-gui development thread September 21, 2018I’d like to say that when installing sdwdate with --no-install-recommends (I don’t like the KDE dependencies) the python3.stem module doesn’t get installed and borks everything. Maybe that should be a required package?@9jnc7
- Using VPS with TOR ? September 21, 2018If the system you’re using is something like TAILS or Whonix, then connections are supposed to go through Tor. If you are not using an anonymity distro then you would need to command the connection to go through Tor (by using something like torsocks) There are way too many factors for a simple answer here. Read the Whonix wiki, that can answer a lot of your […]@9jnc7
- Hardened Debian - Security Focused Linux Distribution based on Debian - In Development - Feedback Wanted! September 21, 2018Patrick: Are you interested in Hardened Debian? Yes, I think it’s a good idea. What do you think? I don’t like the state of information available for hardening Debian. (Official) Resources are obsolete and blog articles are usually recipes with no background . Whonix wiki seems to be the only thing that’s relevant for general advice. Good job everyone! What […]@9jnc7
- Using VPS with TOR ? September 21, 20183 quick questions: When I connect to a VPS (NOT a VPN) from the command prompt, does the trafic go trough the TOR network automaticly or do i need to do something to direct it? Can a VPS see my true IP, I know that there are some javascrypt exploits that deanonymize people that use tor but when connecting to a VPS is there a possibility to be deanonymized vi […]@justqurious Justin
- Whonix 14 - Gateway - Remove September 21, 2018Hi ef86 Creating backups and using VM stapshots (Non-Qubes-Whonix) is strongly recommended in case a mistake is made or an upgrade or apt autoremove breaks your system. When is it OK to use apt autoremove: Whonix Whonix Debian Packages Which Whonix Debian packages are safe to remove? What is a meta package? What other packages do Whonix meta packages install […]@0brand