Other Desktop Environments (New Wiki Entry)
Downloadable Whonix versions come with KDE installed by default. It is possible to uninstall KDE, although doing so is a bit difficult, especially if you want to uninstall all of it and/or to to use a CLI version and/or to install their own desktop environment such as Gnome, LXDE, etc.
Users who build Whonix from source code using Dev/Build Documentation can use optional Terminal-Only build configuration option. And then decide from there.
About PsychonotGuerrilla Ontologist & CryptoAnarchist.
Would you like to contribute to the Whonix project?
Contributing can be as easy as sharing the blog over social media, volentering, or making a monitary donation.
For more ideas on how to get involved see the Contribute wiki page or click on the "Contribute" tag to see where volenteers are most needed.
- Unmaintained Notice! – Whonix inside KVM – Looking for contributor! February 27, 2015Since previous Whonix in KVM maintainer HulaHoop was last active on January 04, 2015, it’s safe to assume this person got lost. No idea why HulaHoop went inactive. There was no notice of departure, argument or whatsoever. I would like… Read more › The post Unmaintained Notice! – Whonix inside KVM – Looking for contributor! appeared first on Whonix. […]Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix Setup Wizard Feedback Required! February 23, 2015troubadour has created Whonix Setup Wizard, that will replace the terminal whonixsetup when running a graphical Whonix-Gateway or Whonix-Workstation. We need your feedback on whether our approach seems usable. Please leave feedback in the forums. Link to forum discussion: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,974… Read more › The post Whonix Setup Wiz […]Patrick Schleizer
- Contribute! Whonix Development Help Wanted! Check out the open Tasks on our new Issue Tracker! February 9, 2015Migration to our new phabricator bug tracker finished. Thanks to Jason Ayala who did most of the migration work! Whonix Development Help Wanted! Check out the list of all open issues (feature requests and bugs) that we would like seeing… Read more › The post Contribute! Whonix Development Help Wanted! Check out the open Tasks on our new Issue Tracker! appear […]Patrick Schleizer
- Suggest Trustworthy Tor Hidden Services as Time Sources for sdwdate February 6, 2015TLDR: What web servers do you consider trustworthy, to take great care of their visitors’ privacy, that are stable and that get great amounts of traffic, and most important, are reachable over .onion as a Tor Hidden Service? Ideally, we… Read more › The post Suggest Trustworthy Tor Hidden Services as Time Sources for sdwdate appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Bug: Tor Browser Alpha rather than Tor Browser Stable being installed by Tor Browser Updater (AnonDist) February 5, 2015The version file format was changed, and there is no stable version version format. If you want to use the stable version of Tor Browser, you have to use these instructions in meanwhile: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Manually_Updating_Tor_Browser Forum Discussion: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php?topic=939 Whonix Issue Tracker:… Read more › The post Bug: […]Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix 10 Development News February 4, 2015Just to keep those of you interested in development posted… Whonix APT Repository: Updated developers and testers repository using Whonix git tag 10.0.0.3.1-developers-only. Now contains the work in progress packages, that will be used in Whonix 10. In other words,… Read more › The post Whonix 10 Development News appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix Project Looking for Web Server Sponsor! January 30, 2015Whonix is an operating system focused on anonymity, privacy and security. It’s based on the Tor anonymity network, Debian GNU/Linux and security by isolation. The project exists since 2012. Learn more: https://www.whonix.org We are currently looking for a sponsor who… Read more › The post Whonix Project Looking for Web Server Sponsor! appeared first on Whoni […]Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix 9.6 Maintenance Release January 30, 2015Download: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Download Upgrading: Existing users can upgrade the usual way using apt-get, see also: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Security_Guide#Updates Changelog between 9.4 and 9.6: – tb-updater: added new TBB tbb-team.asc signing key – https://phabricator.whonix.org/T41 – whonix-repository: updated repository signing key – https://ph […]Patrick Schleizer
- Abstain from using Stream Isolation SocksPort 9152 January 26, 2015Easy / TLDR: Using stream isolation (https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Stream_Isolation) with custom ports? With port 9152? Don’t do this anymore in Whonix 10 and above! Use any higher port numbers as per stream isolation documentation! Long: Reasons: Tor Messenger will use that port… Read more › The post Abstain from using Stream Isolation SocksPort 9152 appeared […]Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix 9.6 Maintenance Release – Testers wanted! January 22, 2015Download: http://mirror.whonix.de/9.6/ Changelog between 9.4 and 9.6: – tb-updater: added new TBB tbb-team.asc signing key – https://phabricator.whonix.org/T41 – whonix-repository: updated repository signing key – https://phabricator.whonix.org/T100 – whonixcheck: updated Whonix news signing key – https://phabricator.whonix.org/T100 – updated frozen reposito […]Patrick Schleizer