Other Desktop Environments (New Wiki Entry)
Downloadable Whonix versions come with KDE installed by default. It is possible to uninstall KDE, although doing so is a bit difficult, especially if you want to uninstall all of it and/or to to use a CLI version and/or to install their own desktop environment such as Gnome, LXDE, etc.
Users who build Whonix from source code using Dev/Build Documentation can use optional Terminal-Only build configuration option. And then decide from there.
About PsychonotGuerrilla Ontologist & CryptoAnarchist.
Would you like to contribute to the Whonix project?
Contributing can be as easy as sharing the blog over social media, volentering, or making a monitary donation.
For more ideas on how to get involved see the Contribute wiki page or click on the "Contribute" tag to see where volenteers are most needed.
- corridor, a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway, a clearnet leak tester July 20, 2016After making the second step, posting how to use corridor, a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway with Qubes-Whonix, I will hereby do the first step, posting a general announcement of an interesting third party project, corridor. Please forget about Whonix for… Read more › The post corridor, a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway, a clearnet leak tester appeared fir […]Patrick Schleizer
- Using corridor, a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway with Qubes-Whonix July 20, 2016corridor is a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway. It is a filtering gateway. Not a proxying gateway. It can also be used as a BridgeFirewall. This is not necessarily more anonymous. It is an additional fail-save Tor traffic whitelisting firewall that… Read more › The post Using corridor, a Tor traffic whitelisting gateway with Qubes-Whonix appeared first on Wh […]Patrick Schleizer
- combining Tor with a VPN or proxy can make you less anonymous July 18, 2016Using a VPN, proxy or SSH can can negatively affect anonymity under some circumstances.   To explain why that is, some background information is required so you can draw conclusions and take actions to avoid this risk. See below.… Read more › The post combining Tor with a VPN or proxy can make you less anonymous appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Your MAC Address Randomization attempts are futile! July 7, 2016The following paper explains why. Why MAC Address Randomization is not Enough: An Analysis of Wi-Fi Network Discovery Mechanisms The above interesting paper has been found by HulaHoop and added to Whonix MAC address documentation. The post Your MAC Address Randomization attempts are futile! appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Gathering Feedback of new Whonix Homepage Draft July 4, 2016We have been discussing a new Whonix homepage (old) and new Whonix download page (old) for a while now. The draft has been created by Ego and we are now be counseled by ura design, Elio Qoshi (@elioqoshi) (who has… Read more › The post Gathering Feedback of new Whonix Homepage Draft appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix logo has been refined June 28, 2016We are excited to reveal that our very own Whonix logo has been slightly refined, offering now better support for smaller screens and more mediums. We also have new profile image based on the logo for social media usage. Head… Read more › The post Whonix logo has been refined appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Looking for firejail / seccomp maintainer for better security! June 27, 2016(repost) firejail is a sandbox to restrict the application environment. Please contribute. Task: play around with firejail in Whoinx see how it goes report (and possibly fix) issues upstream in firejail test the Tor Browser firejail profile, consider packaging it… Read more › The post Looking for firejail / seccomp maintainer for better security! appeared fi […]Patrick Schleizer
- testing refined Whonix logo June 27, 2016There will be a more detailed announcement later. The post testing refined Whonix logo appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Qubes separate VPN-Gateway between anon-whonix and sys-whonix – Connecting to Tor before a VPN (User -> Tor -> VPN -> Internet) June 20, 2016This is now documented here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Connecting_to_Tor_before_a_VPN#Separate_VPN-Gateway Recommended order of reading: * 1) https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Introduction * 2) https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Connecting_to_Tor_before_a_VPN * 3) https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Connecting_to_Tor_before_a_VPN#Separate_VPN-Ga […]Patrick Schleizer
- Connecting to Lantern before Tor (User -> Lantern -> Tor -> Internet) June 10, 2016Lantern is a censorship circumvention tool, an alternative to Tor bridges. Testers only! As an exercise and proof of concept, I quickly put together a documentation chapter for Connecting to Lantern before Tor (User -> Lantern -> Tor -> Internet).… Read more › The post Connecting to Lantern before Tor (User -> Lantern -> Tor -> Internet) ap […]Patrick Schleizer