Air Gapped OpenPGP Key (New Wiki Entry)
It is recommended to first quickly read this article from top to bottom without taking actions. After you roughly understood how it’s supposed to work, re-read this page and do it step-by-step. Exercise this with test keys first. If that works, consider doing this with your primary keys.
Make backups of your existing GnuPG files ($HOME/.gnupg). Keep them safe. If something goes wrong during the following steps, you may need this to return to a known good place.
You should know how to boot other operating systems than your primary every day operating system from Live DVD and/or other external media such as USB.
Would you like to contribute to the Whonix project?
Contributing can be as easy as sharing the blog over social media, volentering, or making a monitary donation.
For more ideas on how to get involved see the Contribute wiki page or click on the "Contribute" tag to see where volenteers are most needed.
- Looking for mirror hosts! – Mirroring instructions updated April 12, 2014TLDR / Short Want to mirror Whonix releases? Updated instructions can be found here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Hosting_a_Whonix_Mirror Full Story At the moment we’re still using sourceforge as primary download mirror, because there is a problem with mirror.whonix.org and non-https downloads. That is,… Read more › The post Looking for mirror hosts! – Mirror […]Patrick Schleizer
- Testers wanted! Whonix 8.2 April 12, 2014Testers wanted for security / maintenance release. Download link for Virtual Box images (.ova), experimental .qcow images and OpenPGP signatures (.asc): https://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/8.2/ Changelog: - updated Debian packages including Heartbleed OpenSSL bug fix - Whonix’s Tor Browser updater: download from torproject’s… Read […]Patrick Schleizer
- Testers wanted! New FIN ACK / RST ACK Leak Test April 11, 2014Mike Perry recently discovered a leak bug in custom transparent proxies (not related to Whonix!) and published his findings on the tor-talk mailing list: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-March/032503.html This leak test has been adapted for Whonix and documented here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/Leak_Tests#FIN_ACK_.2F_RST_ACK_-_Leak_T […]Patrick Schleizer
- The Linux Security Circus: On GUI isolation – Your opinion? April 10, 2014Check this out… Already a bit older, but if true – and it seems to be true (I’ve tested this!) – it would be still up to date – and quite a scandal! The Linux Security Circus: On GUI isolation:… Read more › The post The Linux Security Circus: On GUI isolation – Your opinion? appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- new SSL certificate and new secondary .onion domain April 9, 2014Our clearnet domain continues to be reachable: https://www.whonix.org Due to the heartbleed bug we needed to create a new .onion domain: http://xxxxxxxxxxh5kyrx.onion If you are wondering what our .onion domain is useful for anyway, see this note: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Forcing_.onion_on_Whonix.org Due to… Read more › The post new SSL certificate and ne […]Patrick Schleizer
- Security Advisory: Whonix and the OpenSSL Heartbleed bug April 8, 2014On Whonix-Gateway and Whonix-Workstation, due to the Heartbleed bug in OpenSSL, you are advised to run: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as fast as possible. Additionally, on Whonix-Gateway restart Tor: sudo service tor restart (or simply reboot). (You… Read more › The post Security Advisory: Whonix and the OpenSSL Heartbleed bug appe […]Patrick Schleizer
- whonix.org Server Downtime April 8, 2014Because of Heartbleed OpenSSL vulnerability, most of our keys are being restructured. Expect weirdness / downtime for the next couple hours / days. The post whonix.org Server Downtime appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Full Historical Archive of Original TorBOX Project Site April 3, 2014whonix-supporter created a Full Historical Archive of Original TorBOX Project Site. Links: https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,220.msg1426.html#new Webcitation backup: http://www.webcitation.org/6OZ91nvpZ Thank you, whonix-supporter! The post Full Historical Archive of Original TorBOX Project Site appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Whonix 8.1 Maintenance Release March 30, 2014Usability fixes for new users only. There is no rush to update. Download link for Virtual Box images (.ova), experimental .qcow images and OpenPGP signatures (.asc): https://www.whonix.org/Download Changelog: - updated Debian packages - fixed Tor restart bug when updated by… Read more › The post Whonix 8.1 Maintenance Release appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer
- Survey: How to make Whonix really user friendly? Looking for your suggestions! March 26, 2014Future Directions – Where Whonix wants to be in 2 or 5 years? Do we want Whonix to be for average users or just for those with unix knowledge? Whonix is a useful tool for some already, got many fans.… Read more › The post Survey: How to make Whonix really user friendly? Looking for your suggestions! appeared first on Whonix.Patrick Schleizer