Does Whonix/Tor protect you from the NSA or other three letter agencies?
Would you like to contribute to the Whonix project?
Contributing can be as easy as sharing the blog over social media, volentering, or making a monitary donation.
For more ideas on how to get involved see the Contribute wiki page or click on the "Contribute" tag to see where volenteers are most needed.
- Whonix Anonymous Operating System Version 8 Released! February 27, 2014Whonix is an operating system focused on anonymity, privacy and security. It’s based on the Tor anonymity network, Debian GNU/Linux and security by isolation. DNS leaks are impossible, and not even malware with root privileges can find out the user’s real IP. Whonix consists of two parts: One solely runs Tor and acts as a […]The post Whonix Anonymous Operati […]Patrick Schleizer
- Testers-wanted! Whonix 8 Release candidate #2 Whonix 18.104.22.168 February 22, 2014Download ######## VirtualBox ========== Whonix-Gateway for VirtualBox http://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/whonix-8/Whonix-Gateway-8.ova/download Whonix-Gateway for VirtualBox signature http://sourceforge.net/projects/whonixdevelopermetafiles/files/whonix-8/Whonix-Gateway-8.ova.asc/download Whonix-Workstation for VirtualBox http://s […]Patrick Schleizer
- Testers-wanted! Whonix 8 Release candidate #1 Whonix 22.214.171.124 February 15, 2014Download VirtualBox Whonix-Gateway for VirtualBox Whonix-Gateway for VirtualBox signature Whonix-Workstation for VirtualBox Whonix-Workstation signature KVM / Qemu Entirely untested! This is only useful if you have a developers mindset! This is the first time .qcow2 images are available (as .tar.gz, qcow2 image and signature must be unpacked): http://sourcef […]Patrick Schleizer
- Backup Whonix VMs – new wiki page February 12, 2014A new wiki page on how to backup your Whonix VMs has been written. You can find it here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Backup_Whonix_VMsThe post Backup Whonix VMs – new wiki page appeared first on Whonix | Privacy and Anonymity OS.Patrick Schleizer
- Future Goals for Whonix’s Website February 10, 2014In an ideal world, everything would be connected. Same login would work on the whole website, wiki, forum and blog. Blog posts would also be forum posts. Comments posted in the blog result in comments in the forum and vice versa. Wiki pages have a comment section, that is also redirected to the forum. Rather, […]The post Future Goals for Whonix’s Website app […]Patrick Schleizer
- GnuPG key transition – Update 1 January 18, 2014I’ve got a new gnupg key. The full announcement can be read here: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Adrelanos Update 1: As a commenter pointed out, the old link could not be verified due to a bad signature. This is because mailing list archives replace @ with _at_ and therefore disrupt the message integrity. The full announcement can be read […]The post GnuPG key […]Patrick Schleizer
- giving up pseudonymity after collecting experiences with pseudonymous project development January 18, 2014You may have noticed that I, previously known only known under the pseudonym adrelanos, decided to give up my pseudonymity. It was an interesting experience to pseudonymously maintain a Linux distribution (Whonix). I’ve learned a lot during these ~ 2 years. I didn’t have too bad luck in the lottery of life and are won […]The post giving up pseudonymity after […]Patrick Schleizer
- New Whonix Forum January 15, 2014We have a new forum. Can be reached under https://www.whonix.org/forum or http://kkkkkkkkkk63ava6.onion/forum. The new link can also be found on the Support page: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Support This was necessary, because this forum has a bugs we’re unable to fix in reasonable time: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Special:AWCforum/st/id35/New_forum,_new_bug […]Patrick Schleizer
- Testers wanted! Testers-Only version Whonix 7.7.2 Debian Packages released! January 13, 2014testers-only, which means apt-get could hang in half-broken state which can likely be manually fixed. (Advanced Linux users, those comfortable with Debian sid or so can even fix them themselves.) There is never 100% security. Having snapshots/backups around is recommended. No anonymity/privacy/security issues expected. By switching to the testers-only reposi […]Patrick Schleizer
- Hosting a Whonix Mirror (New Wiki Entry) January 10, 2014We are making some DNS changes, so the site may be a little broken for a few days. The .onion address should continue to work 100%. Running a mirror for Whonix can be immensely helpful, but takes some knowledge, proper configuration and adequate resources to be truly useful. https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Hosting_a_Whonix_MirrorThe post Hosting a Whonix Mirror […]Patrick Schleizer